Monday, January 28, 2008

Dog dying of lung cancer?? my coworker is a smoker, and smoked around her dog for years and years, and now


Dog dying of lung cancer?? my coworker is a smoker, and smoked around her dog for years and years, and now?
the dog is dying of lung cancer due to 2nd hand smoke. she needs to euthanize him, he is just coughing way too much, and is suffering. i can't even look at her or talk to her, because she is keeping him alive, and i went and visited the dog before and he is just suffering. poor baby. anyway, please spread the word, that 2nd hand smoke kills dogs too. if you know a smoker or if you are a smoker don't smoke around your dogs. did you know that?? i didn't till a month ago. to pope the person that answered between Shanna and Mandy..... you sound upset at my question, is it possibly because your dog died because you smoked around it??? FYI im not a vet, and never claimed to be......and just so you know.......how can anyone let a dog suffer? Guess what, I am a smoker, and NEVER smoke around my dogs.
Dogs - 14 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I guess it's no surprise since it harms humans too. Too bad people don't think about pets around when they smoke. I used to smoke but never smoked in any house I lived in. It's also sad that since this is terminal for the dog that she's letting it suffer. Why not put the poor thing out of its suffering. Shame on her!
2 :
I knew that. Secondhand smoke is just as bad for dogs as it is for people. I used to groom a bichon that came into the shop a dark YELLOW color because her owners smoked so much. You can tell which dogs are owned by heavy smokers, the dogs smell like an ashtray.
3 :
That's a terrible thing. no one in my family smokes anymore except for my aunt. Thank you so much! You must have a big heart for caring about dogs around the world so much! You should get a few recommendations from R.O.A.R.-an Animal Planet organization. You're getting one from me!
4 :
I know that a long time ago. 2nd hand smoke kills, whether it be humans or dogs. I read somewhere a long time ago that if you infuse cigarette smoke into a small container with a plant it it, the plant will wither too!
5 :
Oh my dad is A SMOKER and he smokes around r 3 dogs! :o( anyway thank i will pass the message to him so that he stops smoking around the poor pets dog or not no animal deserves that!! i have a 11 year old do so his lungs r not so strong now! mandy m :o) thank lots :o)
6 :
what is your question?? it sounds like your just venting because you a non-qualified vet. has decided she caused the dogs condition. You may or may not be correct, but the bottom line is it's not "your" dog and it really is none of your business how she lives her life.
7 :
It's just pure selfishness on the smoker's part. I have no problem with smokers in general, but it is pretty awful when they smoke around their kids or animals. They are entitled to smoke, but they shouldn't be killing other people or pets in the process. If they have a dog, then SMOKE OUTSIDE!
8 :
I am a smoker, and i never thought of that, but you are right... I will never again smoke when my dog is around. Thank you for this information, I find it really useful, I adore my dog and I don't want something like that to happen to her.
9 :
Pobet...u called him pope.....but......he is crazy..... he is just upset because his dog did prolly die from lung disease because of his ignorant Butt,, don't listen to ignorant people like him. now i agree with megi cool.
10 :
I realize you care deeply for your dogs and dogs period. I guess some people don't realize that animal resistance is not the same as human. May even be an encouragement to quit smoking altogether. Still, I appreciate you compassion.
11 :
that's sad to hear. stop smoking all to gether will help everyone
12 :
Wow I never knew that. Good thing we dont smoke in my family. But PLEASE show the same concern for yourself as you do for your dogs. DITCH THE CIGGIES NOW. We luv you babe and dont want you dying of lung cancer. As for the dog, you can only tell her how you feel but ultimatelly its her decision. I
13 :
Sure I will spread the word, why do dogs have to suffer becuase of humans irresponsiblities care and lack of knowledge that thing that a human can do can affect the dogs health, Not to be mean, But it really sucks and breaks my heart to see or hear how dogs suffer from human mistakes Wish the best
14 :
wow. okay. i hope to shed some light on this one. of course you know i have worked for a vet for years and given that second hand smoke is good for nothing other than plants scientist have NOT been able to prove that second hand smoke causes lung cancer in dogs or any other animal for that matter. and truely it's not fair to blame your friend/co-worker for her dogs illness. i had a dog once that had bone cancer and it moved to her lungs. no second hand smoke involved. as far as putting the dog down. yes i feel bad for the dog but you have to take into consideration that it's extremely hard to put down one of your bestfriends. alot of people hold off and hope for a miracle that never comes. or they feel the decision is beyond them. it is not an easy decision and it's hard to let go. now i am not saying that the dog should be kept alive. as you say it's suffering and i would hope if i were in the same predicament someone would help me. i am just trying to say that it's hard to let go. i have seen more death than the average person and i know how hard it is for people. so please give your co worker some time. and also just because it is the belief of one vet that second hand smoke kills animals don't jump the gun and call it truth. it is not proven, in fact it is extremely far from it.