Saturday, September 12, 2009

Do any of you know personally a person who has died from lung cancer


Do any of you know personally a person who has died from lung cancer?
My friend doesn't believe that secondhand smoke(a.k.a. passive or involuntary smoking) causes lung cancer. She said there was no proof that someone has died from second hand smoke and a couple more of my friends say second hand smoke does not cause lung cancer. I was pretty sure it did but i went ahead and researched it anyhow even though all of my childhood I have been told it is bad. From the research I acquired it states second hand smoke does not only increase the chance of lung cancer but also causes many other diseases. A recent study in May 2006 also proved those claims to be true and underestimated.My friend's argument is that the ciggerette smoke doesn't cause lung cancer it just increases the factor, but if it increases the factor doesn't it have chemicals that cause the cells to mutate causing cancer. So if it causes the cells to mutate in a sense it causes lung cancer.If you could tell me of anyone you have known that has died from the effects of 2nd hand smoke. Thanks!
Cancer - 17 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My grandma died of lung cancer.
2 :
My mother died from lung cancer and never smoked and was never around smokers
3 :
Well, I know a few people that has died of lung cancer and they never smoked a day in there life.
4 :
Yes, I do and it has to be one of the nastiest habbits there are. I use to smoke too. It is awful and a real killer!!!! My sister died of cancer and her husband smoked. He even smoked while she was having chemo. some love.
5 :
Yes .....my Godmother.........she had quit smoking at 30 she died at 70!
6 :
Let me guess...your friend must be a SMOKER. You bet your butt they died from second hand smoke. LOTS of them. But there are other causes too. Some people work in factories exposed to carcinogenic (cancer causing) chemicals. Firemen often develop cancers, esp. lung cancer...doesn't take a genius to see why. People exposed to asbestos--lung cancer...paints--lung cancer, coal mining--lung cancer. Everyone who helped at 9/11 evacuate or was around the WTC=lung "abnormalities". Why? Toxic dust. Carbon-monoxide, mechanics=lung cancer. Working in factories wtih starches and glues etc.=lung cancer. Inhaled pesticides, paints etc--lung cancer, welders?=lung cancer. Not just lung cancers either but many other forms...these are just some of the things that would do it. And all you poor folks living in forest fire countries...yep don't be surprised...and the effects likely damage your DNA meaning future kids could suffer the effects of it all where you may or may not. Pass that on to your friend!
7 :
I really don't know. Penn & Teller, who are both non smokers, said second hand smoke is harmeless (On their TV show) But I can't believe breathing in that crap won't do serious damage. Odd thing. My dad smoked for sixty years, UNFILTERED cigarettes, and died with clean lungs
8 :
My grandma died of lung cancer and she smoked.
9 :
there are also people who have smoked for 60 years or more and didn't get cancer. it is the luck of genetics
10 :
2nd hand smoke....now Ive never heard anyone dying from lung cancer from second hand smoke. however my mother in law died from lung cancer. it was very painful. first she had one lung removed, and lived off of one lung. then she passed away.
11 :
My uncle died from it, and my mom is dieing from it now. In this case, both had first hand smoke. Your friend is a complete idiot. Second hand smoke is just as dangerous as first hand smoke. Only the uneducated and ignorant (and smokers) say otherwise.
12 :
Yes a neighbor of mine died from it. I visited her just before she died and from what I saw cancer is not a good way to die. She had shriveled up to just bones basically and had cataracts in her eyes which made it hard for her to see me right next to her.
13 :
ROY CASTLE, he was a musician and T.V presenter in the U.K. he died of lung cancer about 10 years ago and never smoked in his life but he played the trumpet in smokey halls for years and that was the reason he developed it. My grand father died of it to and it is a horrid illness!
14 :
Because developing cancer is a gradual process, it's hard to pinpoint the actual cigarette or smoke inhaled that caused it to develop in a person. Just trust them when they say any smoking can cause cancer. Thousands of people every year die of it. You are just as dead, whatever caused it.
15 :
my sons oncologist had a patient who died of lung cancer , never smoked , did not live with smokers, cancer strikes who and when it wants
16 :
Yes, first the doctors told her that she was totally cancer free but it came back after 6 years, she died of lung cancer .
17 :
My husband was diagnosed March 20th He passed away June 6th. He was a smoker.




Read more discussions :