Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Can children be around a patient going through chemotherapy with stage 4 lung cancer


Can children be around a patient going through chemotherapy with stage 4 lung cancer?
My Aunt insists on leaving my 4 year old cousin with my 67 year old grandmother who starts chemo today. With my cousin going to school I don't think it would be a good idea but everyone keeps saying it's fine. What do you think? Please give me permission to print your answer out. Thank you. Worried grand-daughter Heather
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I agree with you. Being as the child is attending school, he/she is more vulnerable to contracting colds/flu, etc. and your grandmother is at a much higher risk while undergoing chemo. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea.
2 :
I have stage 4 breast cancer and am on chemo, and have a 4 year old that I'm constantly around. I've not gotten sick. I just make sure to wash my hands often and that he covers his mouth if he coughs or sneezes.
3 :
The only time it may not be okay is if the little girl has a cold or other virus and her grandmothers immune system is low that day due to treatment. A cancer patients immune system is low only at certain times, not all the time . . only when they complete their treatment. In general a cancer patients immune system is just as good as anyone elses when they are not in active treatment. So . . this is really up to your grandmother whether she wants to be around her little grandchild . . and actually it may be the best possible thing for her emotional wise. Keeping human contact is important for her morale and having a child around may brighten her day and make going through treatment tolerable. It's up to your grandmother . . usually blood is taken nearly every day during treatment to monitor her immune system . . if her blood counts are low than she will be warned to take additional precautions . . such as washing hands, wearing a mask or while she is immuno compromised making sure she is not around anyone that is sick . .not just her granddaughter but you or your aunt as well. That can be taken care of by just wearing a mask and washing hands when you are near her. But you need to be careful too. For the most part your little cousin will be fine around her grandmother.
4 :
No it's not a good idea. I had cancer and I was told to keep my distance from crowds and people with cold. Your grandmother is older and it will be harder for her to fight off a cold. Unless she sends her over with a mask. If she does get sick she will not be able to receive her chemo treatment when you white count is too low you can not receives treatment until they are back up.
5 :
I do NOT think its a good idea. First, you have her immune system to be worried about. I have no idea what her treatment is or how low her white blood cell count will drop, but when her counts are low, she is susceptible to infection. Kids are notorious for carrying home germs from school. And absolutely NOT if the child is sick, or has been in contact with someone who is sick. If everyone is insistent on this, she needs to enforce TONS of hand washing in the house. Everyone should wash their hands when they enter the house, and multiple times while in the house. Keep the antibacterial gel around and use it a lot. But also... cancer treatment is a VERY hard thing to go through. She will be tired and exhausted and likely nauseated and sick. She isnt going to have the energy needed to care for a 4 year old properly. In my opinion, your aunt needs to find alternate child care. Its just a lil too much to ask a near 70 year old going through lung cancer treatment to run after a 4 year old all day. I think its fine to bring the child around for visits and stuff, dont get me wrong. But she should NOT be asked to provide child care.




Read more discussions :