Wednesday, March 12, 2008

If my grandpa passed away from lung cancer from smoking, what are my chances


If my grandpa passed away from lung cancer from smoking, what are my chances?
Are my chances of getting lung cancer from smoking higher because my grandpa had lung cancer? i believe he got it from smoking and i am 16 and i smoke, want to quit but it's sort of become a habit the reason i guess i can't quit is because i feel like it doesn't harm me yet i know it does.
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yeah, well thats the nocotine in the cigarettes, which make you crake more and more- and before long you find yourself addicted. But, yes, though the chances that you will contract lung cancer is significantly higher, since you smoke. So, STOP SMOKING. Seriously, try some way to quell the addiction, and relinquish the fags. Do it for your Grandpa, and make him happy, for him sto see you live a long healthy life. Good luck cya :)
2 :
With every cigarette you smoke you insert tar dust into your lungs AND cause the breakdown of an enzyme in the lungs called alpha-1-antitrypsin, which IS the reason why people who smoke end up with emphysema. Since you're only 16 you still have plenty of time to make the right decision to quit before you start to feel the painful results of your addiction.
3 :
You should quit but I know it is addicting. I believe you have a higher chance of getting Cancer because it runs in your family. Doctors always ask if anyone in your family has or had certain illnesses because then they can look for it to happen to you too. Good luck quitting; I wish my husband would as I am sure it will be affecting my health too. My dad had an illness from smoking and quit and I was grateful and surprised that he did it cold turkey.
4 :
No, your chances of having lung cancer aren't greater if your grandfather had it due to smoking. And lung cancer, like other cancers, is rarely hereditary; if several members of your family had had lung cancer, that might indicate a faulty gene in the family. An isolated case doesn't. And you won't have inherited a 'tendency' to get lung cancer from smoking either. Your chances are the same as anyone else who smokes; quit now - I know it's hard - and your chances of avoiding lung cancer in later life are good.
5 :
I started smoking when I was 13 I'm 53 and smoked for 40 yrs and found out that I have lung cancer. I never felt like it was hurting me until I could not catch my breath for about a week or two that's how I found out, two days before our 28Th anniversary. The tests and the treatments really suck I would not wish them on my worst enemy. Do your self a favor and put the smokes down and don't look back, save your self and your family a lot of pain and worry. Sorry this is so long.



Read more discussions :