Thursday, May 20, 2010

What are the chances I'll be getting lung cancer


What are the chances I'll be getting lung cancer?
So I've been smoking for around 2 years now but it's never been a pack a day, it's more like one everyday and a pack on the weekend. I have stopped for 4 months, started then stopped for 2 months. I've started again with 2 a day and around a pack every weekend. I've started to get paranoid of getting cancer so what are my chances? I'm 18 male
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Basically, if you keep smoking for the rest of your life you may or may not get cancer. Cancer isn't this thing that is predetermined. Cancer is a spontaneous, random mutation of cells. It can happen any time. If you quit smoking today, you may get cancer tomorrow. I don't smoke. I could get cancer tomorrow. But, there is a good chance that smoking INCREASES your chances of getting some type of cancer. Doesn't mean you will get it, but there is a high probability that you will. Smoking also increases heart disease, decreases lung function, and may decrease brain function. I would stop.
2 :
Answer from pamplemo1 is enough to answer your question. To add one more point, many cancers run in the families and the immediate relatives, often have an increased risk of cancers. From your background information, you are not a heavy smoker. If possible, STOP smoking. Smoking can also cause some immediate bad effects, such as bad breath, yellowish teeth & encounter many restriction from the government, such as cannot smoke at certain areas, expensive cigarette & not attracted to women (in my country).
3 :
Smoking definitely established causative factor for not only lung cancer but for many other cancer,but remember that is not the only cause. Yes it really increases chances to get lung cancer but it is not possible to predict how much. Many other causative risk factors have to be always taken in to consideration. Only thing is sure that if you continue to smoke and frequency is bound to increase,you will be in high risk group than general population of your age and sex in there life time. So be the Doctor of yourself and stop smoking. No one is going to stop you in quitting smoking.



Read more discussions :