Sunday, January 4, 2009

how often do you have to smoke to get lung cancer or emphaseyma


how often do you have to smoke to get lung cancer or emphaseyma?
i been smoking a little over a year. i have asthma.
Other - Health - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Effects vary in individuals. Some don't get them at all in all their years of smoking but it can definitely damage your lungs. Why wait for adverse effects to happen to you when you can do without cigarettes? Try. Even second hand smoking posts a dangerous effect :-)
2 :
Smoking heavily increases your chances of getting lung cancer. I am 24 and smoked since I was 13. I recently quit and realized that there is no point in paying a rediculous amount of money to slowly kill yourself. The problem is that the longer you smoke, the more addicted you get. Those things WILL kill you, and the worst part is your paying to do it.
3 :
Everyone is different. Some people don't get it until they are in their 70's or 80's. I watched both of my parents die because of smoking. If you could ever watch someone struggling to breathe, spitting up thick sputum, and trying to get one last breath, I would hope it would make you quit before you get too addicted. My parents just couldn't quit and it finally got them! I'm a nurse, so I've seen and heard of people fairly young die from emphysema. That's not even considering those who get lung cancer. Quit now while you can!
4 :
u don't have to smoke to get lung cancer. Weird isn't it ? But yet u can get lung cancer from second hand smoking. And u shouldn't smoke over 1 pack a day it would be best to not smoke at all, but if addicted slowly try to get off of cigarettes or slow down the a couple of cigarettes or a pack a day. my mom smokes like 2-3 packs a day she has really bad leg problems among other things. To me smoking is just a waste of time. I'll never smoke. Never. Anyways I hope I answered your question
5 :
Part of that is genetically determined. My husband's grandfather smoked more than a pack a day every day his whole life and never got emphasema before he died at 83 years old. His mother's smoking caused a whole host of different cancers that killed her at the age of 54. My grandfather was diagnosed with terminal cancer at 30 years old and lived to be 63. Some people never smoke and still develop lung cancer. It isn't the kind of thing you can or should try to hedge your bets on, because chances are, you will lose.
6 :
Sorry to mention this but you have to be really darn stupid to have asthma and smoke. Smoking is bad for your health and for that of those around you. If you do not believe me, go ahead and visit a hospital ward where people are actually dying of emphysema. Maybe you think that if you smoke for some time but not enough to actually develop emphysema you will be safe. Smoking affects a lot of other aspects and organs in your body and in your life, like halitosis, bad breath due to smoking. Try blowing out the smoke you inhale through a handkerchief, not a kleenex, do it a couple of times and get a load of what you will see. That crap goes into your lungs. Both my parents were smokers, I was a passive smoker from birth, I ended up so sick of smoke I refuse to allow anyone to smoke near me or in my home, the same goes for my children, I refuse to allow anyone to smoke near them. My legacy: frequent colds, allergies, bronchitis, coughs, whenever the cold weather sets in. As to the time, well some people don´t even smoke and end up with emphysema, every organism is different. But it´s your life anyway. The one person who can take control is yourself.
7 :
The effects of smoking can be highly individualistic. Some life-long smokers never seem bothered by their habit; though this is rare. Other smokers for ten years or less can develop severe problems, including cancers other than lung cancer. If you already have asthma, you've no business smoking. You're just asking for more severe problems to your lungs. Quit now while it is easier to do so. I've smoked for 40+ years and am physically and psychologically addicted. I've tried about everything to quit without being able to do so. Some people are not addicted to nicotine right away, so it's easier to quit. A year is about how long it took me to become addicted. Wish I'd quit then. Hope you will.



Read more discussions :