Saturday, January 24, 2009

Can I develop Lung Cancer from my grandparents smoked alot and I spent a lot of time with them


Can I develop Lung Cancer from my grandparents smoked alot and I spent a lot of time with them?
Well, I have really bad Chronic Bronchitis, because my grandma and grandpa were both smokers and I spent a lot of time with them when I was a child. So, I';m thinking, can I get worse diseases from 2nd hand smoke?
Respiratory Diseases - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Sure can. Altough, it's not common from 2nd hand smoke but it can happen. If you notice anything questionable see a doctor, but my guess is everything is fine hope this helps =]
2 :
Well, yes, you can. It's never nice to hear, especially if the smoke came from people you care about, but yes, you can get virtually any of the diseases a smoker could get. On the other hand, since you didn't inhale all the smoke from every cigar/cigarette/etc. you have a lower chance of getting these diseases. Unfortunately, it's still possible...I got a tumor in my left lung from my mother's smoking, but it got removed and I'm healthy again.
3 :
Yes,it's always possible for you to get cancer from 2nd hand smoke...if you are so distressed talk to your doctor or go to a health clinic.I'm sure they could put you at ease...even go as far as giving you a scan...but be assured a scan isn't cheap ( as you might have to payfor one)
4 :
Yes you can. Someone from the tobacco companies is marking down the other answers, ignore that. My friend is a kindergarten teacher, and she notices that the children from smoking households (they stink) are sick much more often than the children from non-smoking households.
5 :
No you can't. I had 3 grandparents who smoked around my sister and I, plus a father who was a 3 pack a day smoker. We still are around with no problems.
6 :
I do love the "evil tobacco companies marking down the anti-smoker comments" line, as if they'd care, or pay someone to thumbs-down things on yahoo. The truth is that prolonged exposure to second hand smoke does increase your risk marginally (a relative risk of 1.25 for lung cancer, so for every 1 case in a non second-hand smoked environment, there'll be 1.25 in a smoked one), but other things have a far higher increase in risk and are routinely ignored, like drinking full-fat as oppoosed to semi-skimmed milk (relative risk of 2.14 for lung cancer). The general rule of thumb is that things with a relative risk of less than three are written off as not significant, unless it is politically expedient.



 Read more discussions :