Wednesday, October 28, 2009

has anyone here gotten or known someone wiht lung cancer from smoking cigars


has anyone here gotten or known someone wiht lung cancer from smoking cigars?
I enjoy a cigar maybe once or twice a week. I know if I did this for a long long time then I could get some type of cancer, but I want to know what the stats are on cigar smokers vs. cigarette smokers. Please don't answer if you don't know anything about this subject. Don't say "it is bad for you" I know it is but I would rather smoke then drink every night. Anyways, please comment on what you think would happen. This doesn't mean I will be quitting, maybe after a few years. But for know I just want to know the stats on the cancer rate of cigar smokers. Thank you for your posts. Also, anyone know how many people got cancer from smoking a hundred years ago when more poeple did smoke?
Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
my grandpa smokes cigars and he has all types of diseases. he is 87 and a walking miracle. my uncle smoked strenuosly from age 15-50, which is when he died. please, do not smoke.
2 :
I don't have stats, but I understand cigar smokers usually don't end up inhaling as much as cigarette smokers, so it probably isn't as hard on the lungs. However, like pipe smokers, there is always the danger of cancer in the mouth, which can be pretty horrid.
3 :
Although I don't know stats, I can say that cigars have no filters. The chemicals are what cause cancers. If you have no filter to "clean" out the chemicals, then there's absolutely no protection. You're taking in everything.
4 :
Well, first off you aren't going to find good stats for 100 yrs ago for cancer because they were unable to accurately diagnose cancer 100 yrs ago. People would die but they were not able to tell what killed them. Here's some info on the stats of cancer and cigar smoking: http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=39859
5 :
My aunt had lung cancer, but as far as I know she never smoked anything. Her dad smoked alot and some of her sisters and brother smoke. I'm guessing she got it from second hand smoke. She did all the treatments. Its been a few years and she is now recovering from a tumor she had in her brain.
6 :
I am 31 years old. I have never known anyone who got lung cancer from smoking cigars OR cigarettes. I'm guessing that since one is not supposed to actually inhale when they smoke cigars, and since so many more people smoke cigarettes, that the stats are much higher for getting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. That said, I can only think of one person I know who smokes cigars. He is in his 70's and has no cancer issues, as far as we know. He is physically active, eats pretty healthfully, does not drink, and has a cigar perhaps once or twice a month. I have no idea what the stats are on this. I've never even known someone who smoked cigarettes and had lung cancer, but as a person who recently quit smoking (cigarettes), I'm willing to believe the stats. (Anyway, I'm sick of paying so much money for cigarettes. Funny how everyone hates smokers but they're supposed to pay for everything under the sun with the sin tax added to cigarettes. As more and more people quit smoking due to the stigma, regulations, expense, and health issues, I'm sure the govt. will redirect their energies to alcohol, junk food, etc. Fewer smokers = less tax revenue, at least in my state!)



Read more discussions :