Thursday, September 1, 2011

Do you know of anyone who died of lung cancer or other smoking-related causes


Do you know of anyone who died of lung cancer or other smoking-related causes?
I am writing a speech on something to change. I would like to change the act of smoking. I would like to completely eliminate it from the world. I would like to open with a heartwrenching story of someone who died of from it. If you were affected by smoking please tell me your story. Please include names.first names would be fine. Please tell me how their death affected the people around that person. Thanks!
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yes they do my aunt died from it and my bffs grandpas died from that and 2 of her aunts did die from that too
2 :
Ironically, the family members of mine that died w/ lung cancer were not smokers. All the smokers lived for nearly twice as long. / I had learned that all cancers come from genetic inheritance. That means you have a gene susceptible to cancer but it will not activate unless given the right catalyst. For example, if you are prone to a skin cancer from sun, it may only be at radiation of a certain level. So if you lived in low lands all your life, that gene would never become active. But if you moved to the high elevations of the Andes you would receive the radiation levels required to activate that gene.
3 :
To change the act of smoking, you would first have to eliminate the genetic basis for doing it. There was a study done recently about smokers and non-smokers experience with smoking. The long-term smokers could all remember their very first cigarette and how it made them feel. Those who didn't remember getting a high from it are the non-smokers. You do know that smoking existed long before the first colonists came to America, don't you? All the sad stories in the world won't support your desire to change an inborn trait. Smoking falls into the same category as alcoholism and drug abuse. I have no doubt that I will get a lot of thumbs down from people who think it is a moral choice. People like that are the ones who first passed Prohibition, and we know how well that worked. I am a hospice nurse and have attended the deaths of many people who died of lung cancer. I still smoke.
4 :
To lose someone you love and care for is hard on the bereaved family. My elder brother died of lung cancer that had metastasized to the brain. The cancer was so aggressive and everything happened so fast! Bertie was 47 years old and had been smoking since he was in his twenties. To this day I still miss him but I am consoled by the fact that I have many good and happy memories of our time together. We always knew that genetically speaking, our family has a predisposition to cancer. Our grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins on the maternal and paternal side died of different types of cancer, some as young as the early 20's. Bertie was not only a brother to me but also a mentor who taught me many things. He left 5 kids, the youngest barely 5 years old when he passed away. Our youngest brother, Leo, is a medical doctor and his wife, Dottie, is a surgeon. They were able to help us cope with Bertie's imminent death and to let us know what to expect in the coming days. From the time he was diagnosed, Bertie had only 1 1/2 months before he finally died. The last two weeks were spent in the hospital. It was a shock for everyone, our relatives, friends and his work colleagues. What is very touching and heartwarming is that we were still able to spend Christmas and New Year with him. My siblings and I made it a point to devote our time to him, show him we loved him and make him aware that we were committed to ensuring that the family he will be leaving behind will be well looked after. Today, everyone in the clan reminds each family member that life is precious and to stay away from carcinogenic stuff, most specially starting the smoking habit. I hope that the younger generation not only in my clan but everyone else will stay away from smoking. It surely kills over time. Only this month, my doctor brother informed us that another elder sister, Cristina, is a possible victim. She is 57 years old. So its deja vu again! I am not a smoker, never started the habit at all. My husband Manny, quit smoking at 40 years old. He is now 62. Our 3 sons Reuben, Patrick and Francis are thankfully non-smokers. Before you start the habit, or light your next cigarette, I hope that people will think twice. By the time you realize that life is worth living and you still want to be surrounded by your loved ones, it would be too late.
5 :
I don't know anyone that's ever had lung cancer. My dad died from emphysema due to chain smoking many years. There was never a childhood picture of us without a cig in his hand.


Read more discussions :