Friday, March 4, 2011

My parents both smoked while I was growing up. Will I get lung cancer


My parents both smoked while I was growing up. Will I get lung cancer?
I smoked as well for a couple years when I was young. I had problems with asthma when I was younger and still get bronchitis at least once every winter.
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yeah you could
2 :
cancer isnt exactly picky...secondhand smoke is a risk, but my grandmother died of lung cancer and never smoked a day in her life
3 :
you do have a higher chance then someone who grew up in a smoke free environment - however you are not garenteed to get cancer just because you grew up around it. And having asthma & getting bronchitis yearly wouldn't factor into getting cancer - if you have a large family history of cancer, speak to a doctor to see how early you should start getting tested.
4 :
My whole generation grew up around chain-smoking parents and everyone I know is still alive and kickin'. I'm not being snarky - it's quite true and it's also true that "they" do not have a clue what secondhand smoke does. Every study you read is simply statistical correlations. Your asthma could have been related to it; it has an equal chance of being unrelated. Asthma is worse than ever today, yet smoking inside around kids is almost non-existent. Clearly, there are multiple and complex factors involved.
5 :
Possible but unlikely. Even the great majority of smokers never develop lung cancer.



Read more discussions :