Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How does lung cancer cause a person to cough? And what does the cough associated with lung cancer sound like


How does lung cancer cause a person to cough? And what does the cough associated with lung cancer sound like?

Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't think there is a solid connection there, too many variables to consider in my opinion.
2 :
my dad died with lung cancer and did not have a cough, my husband has secondries in the lung and does have a cough. If you have any worries you should speak to a doctor
3 :
Cancer in the lungs is foreign matter to the body. Your lungs are lined with cilia. These are hairlike projections that move foreign matter out of your lungs. My sister-in-law had a bad cough with hers. It's more likely the tumors at first. The lungs are trying to rid itself of the tumors and that's the only way it knows how to do it. As it progresses, the patient can become filled with mucous and this annoys the cilia, which in turn causes the patient to cough up the mucous. that is the job of the cilia. Hope that helps. This is a general description of why we cough,
4 :
one of the most significant symptoms of lung cancer is coughing up blood or haemoptysis. This can sometimes occur as an early warning sign of a cancer which may still be curable. Any person who coughs up blood should see their GP for advice urgently as lung cancer must be considered, particularly if the person is a smoker over the age of 40. My dad was age 73 and had a cough that lasted for over 2 weeks and my mum nagged him to see the doctor, 4 days later he was having part of his lung removed and recovered, 3 years later he died of bowel cancer. The cough was not too bad, just the typical smokers cough like the type you get when you have a bad cold.
5 :
When dealing with lung cancer it depends on where the tumor is located. Tumors at the base do not cause as much coughing as those located at the top or bronchial tree. With secretions at the top, it acts more as an irritation that patients try to cough out.Fluid at the base has farther to travel also & often just settle in the lungs.The cough can be harsh sounding but again it depends on how well the person can bring up fluid. There can often be blood present from both irritation by coughing or from the tumor itself. The cough can change it type & frequency over the stage of the cancer as it progresses, and often can stop when the patient deteriorates & can no longer expel the irritating fluid.
6 :
As you can see, there are many different answers to you question as there are many types of cancer. I had a tumor and half a lung removed and never developed a cough.
7 :
My mother did not have any coughing when she found out that she had 4th stage small cell lung cancer. The tumor was the size of a golf ball in her lung. It was located at the top part of the lung. I will be calling my health insurance and telling them about mom, and asking them if they allow chest x-rays every year. She had an x-ray in 2005 just before she moved her in October. She had an x-ray in Feb. 09, and passed away June 09. Less than 4 years, she was taken from us from cancer. My doctor said to me if I have any coughing to come in. But my mother never had any coughing. So I want the x-rays every year. Even tho I have never been a smoker, I grew up with her smoking, so it scares me.



Read more discussions :