Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I just started chemo 2 days ago for lung cancer and would like to know what changes to expect from day to day


I just started chemo 2 days ago for lung cancer and would like to know what changes to expect from day to day?
physical and emotional changes. I have had no side effects as yet except a bit tired.
Cancer - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The physical and emotional changes vary from person to person. Some people are able to continue working and going about their normal daily routines without much trouble. Others are wiped out by it. I was able to continue working through my first two rounds of chemo without too much trouble. Take it one day at a time, and let your friends and family help with whatever chores you don't feel up to handling. If a friend says let me know what I can do, ask them to pick up groceries or run to the dry cleaners, drive you and keep you company during your chemo treatments...
2 :
Hello, I hope you have a friend or family member that goes with you for your treatments. My wife had a dose-dense chemotherapy meaning she went in every week for a certain length of time. She had 15 weeks of two types of chemotherapy drugs and then surgery and now is on week 11 of 12 weeks of Taxol for Breast Cancer. Everyone reacts differently to the drugs, but what is common about it is the cumulative effects of chemotherapy. Like you write the first one makes you tired, then it goes downhill from there. She experienced constipation, mouth sores (if you have not done this get an air purifier and keep it in your bedroom, it helps with chemotherapy; that is what her Naturopathic doctor suggested we do, and my wife can tell the difference when it is not running) She also experienced watery eyes, aches that seem to travel to different parts of her body, fatigue, and numbness in her fingers and toes. Her nails have fallen out or cracked, and she has had hair-loss about the 4th week. The Cytoxin seemed to be the worst, once she got off of that she felt a lot better. She is on her last week of Taxol, and she seems to by crying a lot lately. She has been on chemotherapy drugs for 26 weeks with a two week break for her mastectomy. So, I imagine she is sad too about losing her breast. But I know that the drugs hurt her and I have found her in curled up in a ball in bed crying. If it ever gets too much for you, let your oncologist know. My wife puts on a brave front when she see's her doctor but they do not know how much she is really suffering. She is my hero. Good luck on your journey, it will be over before you know it. Dave



Read more discussions :